The Garmin Forerunner range is known for its quality and the 245 model won’t disappoint – find out more about this smartwatch’s amazing features here.
When you’re dedicated to improving your fitness level, there’s no better brand of smartwatch for you than a Garmin. Known for their high-quality smartwatches, Garmin expertly blends together the perfect mix of cutting edge technology and tracking tools to create models that won’t fail to impress even the most hard-to-please fitness enthusiast.
A Garmin two-in-one smartwatch and fitness tracker won’t just make life simpler, it’ll bring a host of improvements to your overall health. Of course, it goes without saying that it’ll also make it much easier to achieve the exercise goals that you’ve set for yourself without ever compromising on style.
While there are a number of smartwatches in the Forerunner range, the 245 model is middle of the range. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have plenty of fantastic features that will enhance your workout. As the latest update to the 235 model, it comes with a more manageable price tag than the 945 but is still fully featured, representing good value for money.
Garmin Forerunner 245: Key Features
- LCD full colour display – 240 x 240 megapixels
- Weighs 38.5g for a more lightweight feel
- Comfortable, soft silicone strap
- 7 day battery life
- Tracks your route, distance and pace
- GPS-equipped allows easy route mapping
- Tracks health metrics including fitness age, heart rate and sleep quality
- Safety alerts built in – Garmin’s Running Awareness feature
- Menstrual tracking functionality
- Music model has storage for up to 500 songs and a Wi-Fi connection
- Waterproof rating of 5 ATM – can withstand water pressures up to 50 metres deep
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Gorilla glass ensures the screen remains scratch-resistant
- Pairs with Android and Apple phones
- Garmin Coach training plan feature enables personalised workouts
- Galileo support
- Tracks swimming laps
- Metronome feature allows you to set the pace for your run
- Strong oval fastening clip ensures the watch stays firmly in place on the wrist
- Convenient male to female charging system on the reverse of the watch
- Easy access buttons for easy controls on the go
The Forerunner 245 offers plenty of excellent features for fitness improvers and fitness fans who want to stay looking stylish without breaking the bank. The 245 could be the perfect choice.
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages that we think apply to this model so you can make a more informed purchasing decision.
- The design is compact, lightweight and comfortable
- The silicone strap is soft and easily adjustable so it won’t slip while you exercise
- Inbuilt GPS makes tracking your route a breeze
- Body Battery functionality helps you track your overall fitness level
- Menstrual cycle monitoring makes this a good choice for women
- Heart rate monitor is inbuilt to help you stay on top of your fitness level
- The Music model has a music player capable of storing up to 500 songs
- More affordable price tag than many of its rivals
- Waterproof down to 50 metres
- Easy to view screen can be seen even in direct sunlight
- Strong, reinforced Gorilla glass display ensures excellent durability
- Battery life is just 6 hours if you play music and use GPS
- Oval strap fastener is secure but a little difficult to use
- Doesn’t track every type of exercise or activity
- There is no barometric altimeter
- You have to pay extra to have music functionality and wi-fi
- No pay functionality
- Need to use force to press the buttons
- Circular screen isn’t to everyone’s preference
While there are a few downsides, as you can see, to purchasing the Forerunner 245, there are many excellent features which sway opinion in this smartwatch’s favour. At the end of the day, you’ll need to weigh up several factors such as your personal preferences, budget and lifestyle to determine whether the technology and features that this fitness tracker offers are suited to your needs.
For lots of users, the Forerunner 245 has really hit the spot, supplying the perfect balance between a convenient fitness tracker and a functional and stylish watch. Compared to some other smartwatches, the fact that the primary focus is on fitness instead of lifestyle enhancements may be a deterrent. For those who want to maximise their smartwatch’s functionality while enjoying a long battery life may also find that this model doesn’t live up to expectations.
How Does The Forerunner 245 Compare?
The smartwatch market is a very crowded and competitive one, and there are numerous rival models available at the moment that are stacked up against the Forerunner 245. Garmin’s own ranges include a number of smartwatch models that give the 245 a run for its money. The 945, for example, offers many more features including pay functionality and the ability to track many more activities. The Fenix 5 Plus and Fenix ranges too boast some seriously impressive features. However, it’s worth bearing in mind that all of these rival Garmin models come with a substantially higher price tag.
The Bottom Line
When you’re seriously dedicated to boosting your fitness, Garmin’s Forerunner 245 model is sure to be an excellent purchase for you, especially if you’re on a tight budget. The many excellent features that it offers makes life easier while helping you to get the most out of your daily workouts all at a very reasonable price.
Yet, if your focus in choosing a smartwatch is less on the fitness aspect and more on the life enhancements, the Forerunner 245 might not be the right fit for your needs. With no pay function, a requirement to pay more for music and Wi-Fi functionality, and a short battery life when music and GPS are in action, you may be advised to look elsewhere.